Proposals are invited for participation in bilateral space science and exploration (SS&E) missions, which are already in advanced state of discussion, but requiring funding during the current Comprehensive Spending Review (CSR) period to end March 2025. For collaborations where the UK is a junior partner the mission status should be either selected, going through the selection process, or being prepared for an imminent call, and could include instrument development and/or software engineering. For a UK-led mission the concept need only be well defined, and costs could include mission design and development as well as instrumentation and software. Applicants need to be aware, that for the successful candidates, funding can only be guaranteed to 31st March 2025, and continuation of the project will be subject to the outcome of the CSR and subject to the normal approval process.
The total budget available for the Call will not exceed £1M in 2024/25. Funds awarded in FY24/25 need to be spent before the end of 31st March 2025.
The guiding principle for the evaluation of the proposals will be science excellence but will consider feasibility and affordability, as well as potential economic and societal benefits.
Proposal Submission Process:
- 31st January 2024: Part 1 of Proposal to be submitted
- 19th February 2024: UKSA Proposal SIFT: Proposals reviewed and notified. Candidates passing SIFT are invited to submit part 2 of proposal
- 11th March 2024: Part 2 of Proposal to be Submitted
- April 2024: Panel Review
Only the lead institution should submit a proposal. Proposals should be submitted to the University of Leicester administrator, who will act on behalf of the UKSA and CEOI, as follows:
- Electronically in PDF format. The proposal should be contained in single PDF file, which must include your statement of acceptance of UKSA/UKRI T&Cs (RD3). You will receive an email acknowledging receipt. Contact CEOIadmin@le.ac.uk if you do not receive an acknowledgement within 24 hours.
- Submitted proposals will be treated in strict confidence, and only shared between UKSA SS&E Team Leaders, the designated peer reviewers, and the CEOI Leadership team members involved in managing the reviews and preparation of recommendations to UKSA.
The electronic submission should be sent by email to the CEOI Technology Call Administrator, CEOIadmin@le.ac.ukEnquiries about proposal handling and administration should also be directed to this email address.
The following documents contain information that is relevant to this Call:
National Space Strategy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-space-strategy
UK Space Agency Corporate Plan 2022-2025 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-space-agency-corporate-plan-2022-25
UKRI T&Cs and Guidance for Full Economic Costs (FEC) for academic Partners: https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/UKRI-291020-guidance-to-fEC-grant-terms-and-conditions.pdf
William Trafford (SS&E AO Coordinator)
Matthew Crosby (SS&E Lead)
Caroline Harper (UKSA Space Science Lead)
Sue Horne (UKSA Space Exploration Lead)
Group Mailbox for Science and Exploration Bilaterals